Organization – History
River of Hope, an initiative of the Brazosport Ministerial Alliance, is a registered charity (IRS 501(c) 3) and hired an executive director. The value of working together was demonstrated in the assistance of over 100 families following hurricane Katrina (2008). The number of member churches has grown from 12 to 20 and continues to because of the effectiveness of this ministry in the community.
Opening in June 2007 in the Brazoria County Dream Center in Clute, the River of Hope office began assisting people in financial crisis with rent and utilities. In addition, River of Hope refers beneficiaries to other available resources. By helping financially and spiritually, hope is provided through the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Over the past 5 years we have provide rent and utility assistance to 1167 beneficiaries totaling $290,901.31.
Executive Director, River of Hope
Board of Directors:
- Jason Saddler – President
- William Winniford – Treasurer
- Gene Saulsman
- Clif Dusek
- Christine James
- Debra Cortez
River of Hope member churches join in its ministry by supplying funds and volunteers. In close partnership with established organizations and services, competitive situation are avoided. By working together, identifying and meeting financial crisis needs in Brazosport is more effective.
Member churches include:
Brazosport Christian Center
Grace Bible Church
The ROCK Church
Crossover Community Church
First Baptist Church – Freeport
In Lake Jackson:
Trinity Light Church
Willow Drive Baptist Church
First Presbyterian Church
First Baptist Church
Chapelwood United Methodist Church
St. Timothy’s Episcopal
Cornerstone Church of the Nazarene
We encourage you to visit the operation of the River of Hope and become a member church. For additional information, contact the Executive Director, Nanette Freelon.
How Your Church Can Be Involved
- Complete the membership application.
- Contribute minimum annual amount to the River of Hope operating fund based on average worship attendance.
- Contributions may be paid in monthly installments.
- Agree with the Apostle’s Creed as the Statement of Faith.
- Agree with the Procedures and Policies of the ministry.
- Allow a representative to present the ministry to the church body in its worship service(s) once per year. The purposes of this are to report to the church how their money impacted lives and to recruit volunteers to serve.
The membership application must be approved by seventy-five percent vote of the then current members of River of Hope at the annual business meeting.
If your church is interested in sharing in this ministry, contact the Executive Director, Nanette Freelon.